View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #28407
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
It appears to have an overwhelming desire to live. Shouldn't we admire such determination in a world that seems so lacksadaisical?
Indeed. I, for one, am inspired, and am determined to help it live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Yup. Yet it doesn't get old. I love it. The good thing about the P&P games is that you can actually roleplay[...] No evil person goes around shouting to the winds "Oh, I'm so evil! MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!!". They'd not live long that way, and it's just cliché. Sadly, the only one who has long since figured out that yes, Villains and evil characters *can* be smart, is Disney. Many game developers however are still stuck on the cliché evil guy kicking puppies left and right and sporting a silly moustache. Except the guys from Black Isle, that are luckily now to a large part at Bioware. They have it figured out well.

Yet even if you do that kind of thing, you will never manage to please everyone, as there's just too many factors you have to pay attention to.
Well, yeah, but you have to sacrifice great graphics, expansive terrain, and immersion in a virtual world if you want realistic baddies. If I was ever bitten by the RPG bug - unlikely - I'd have to go with an online RPG.

Quote:
Well, it's a bit more complicated. On one hand, people with ADHD have difficulty focusing, especially if they are underchallenged (as ADHD often comes hand in hand with a high IQ, meaning that you understand things pretty quickly, most of the time. However, the other people might not have understood the same thing by that time, and you get bored, and get distracted by an interesting cloud formation, for example. [...]But most teachers don't bother with that, and just mark it down as misbehaving and not paying attention right away. [...] However, at the same time, people with ADHD are able to "hyperfocus". That means they can get so focussed on one task, that they don't notice what goes around them. That can happen with any activity, if it catches the interest enough. You should see me doing a puzzle - a 1000 piece puzzle is done faster than you can imagine. Or doing art. Or during Archery practice (gods, be thankful for it during archery practice! [...] However, in class hyperfocus can be interpreted as misbehaving too, as teachers might think the student is intentionally not responding or working with the group. Even though you get the stuff done perfectly, and fast, it's not something welcome in class.

So yeah, even if often we have difficulty focusing, if something catches our interest, we can be so focused on it that nothing can distract us (that's how extremely long posts by me, that took only a few minutes to write are created. If a post takes longer, the topic didn't catch my interest as much, most of the time.).
I see. Not a whole lot to say about that, interesting to know though.

Quote:
By the way, Gilsie, I recently realised that you remind me a bit of !Duke_Commando! of Elf Only Inn. But only a bit.

Ooh, a gun-toting mercenary tough guy? I approve. Except for the "not the brightest apple in the basket" bit, of course.