View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #28404
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
No machine guns? Too bad.

Actually, I think I might have one of those too...Like I said, I hardly know anything about weapons, and I have forgotten some of the details about the different ones my character has that our GM told me.

Quote:
Wow. That's... old-school.
Yup. Yet it doesn't get old. I love it. The good thing about the P&P games is that you can actually roleplay. Sure, there's computer games based on these systems, but it doesn't work that well. In any single player CRPG you will end up railroading the player in some way, because it's impossible to program the game in such a way that it could respond to every possible player action appropriately. So instead you give some options for actions that fit the basic characters: Good, Evil, Chaotic, Lawful, and different classes. However, even that can be tricky. Especially evil is too often written as if every evil character is characterised by kicking puppies and eating children, while insidious evil characters, that know how to play people the right way, so that they don't realise that the guy they're asking for help is actually not interested in their well being. That kind of evil character might agree to fight the orcs to get the merchant's stolen goods back, but what they might not say is they will keep them. They might agree to basically do good things, but see how they can gain the most for themselves from it. No evil person goes around shouting to the winds "Oh, I'm so evil! MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!!". They'd not live long that way, and it's just cliché. Sadly, the only one who has long since figured out that yes, Villains and evil characters *can* be smart, is Disney. Many game developers however are still stuck on the cliché evil guy kicking puppies left and right and sporting a silly moustache. Except the guys from Black Isle, that are luckily now to a large part at Bioware. They have it figured out well.

Yet even if you do that kind of thing, you will never manage to please everyone, as there's just too many factors you have to pay attention to.

Anyway, what I meant to say is, it's much easier with P&P games. You don't have to program a computer, as you already have the best programmed, and most adaptable computer in your heads. Roleplaying can only done really well if you don't have any given options when replying, and just make it up as you go. One day you might be able to program a computer to be able to replace playing with actual people, but it's far in the future, if it will ever happen. And personally, I am happy talking to my friends as we play.

Quote:
No, no, no. I didn't mean you when I said about the person that went on and on about nothing. I meant that other dude who hangs around a lot.

On a more serious note, a friends of mine has ADHD, and he's basically what you described. However, if you hadn't said anything now or previous times you've mentioned your ADHD, I would have never known that you had ADHD. After all, it takes quite a bit of attention to have perfect spelling and grammar, and write out fairly long posts as you do.
Well, it's a bit more complicated. On one hand, people with ADHD have difficulty focusing, especially if they are underchallenged (as ADHD often comes hand in hand with a high IQ, meaning that you understand things pretty quickly, most of the time. However, the other people might not have understood the same thing by that time, and you get bored, and get distracted by an interesting cloud formation, for example. Teachers interpret that as simply not paying attention, yet when they ask you to explain what was just taught, they might find you can do that perfectly. But most teachers don't bother with that, and just mark it down as misbehaving and not paying attention right away. Of course, *some* ADHD kids are doing that anyway, but the same can be said about "normal" kids. ), or if they consider something not interesting (like Math, for me, much of the time. If it's presented in a slightly different way, I find it interesting too, though.). However, at the same time, people with ADHD are able to "hyperfocus". That means they can get so focussed on one task, that they don't notice what goes around them. That can happen with any activity, if it catches the interest enough. You should see me doing a puzzle - a 1000 piece puzzle is done faster than you can imagine. Or doing art. Or during Archery practice (gods, be thankful for it during archery practice! Distraction and arrows don't mix well. Also, Archery practice itself often helps to calm me down a lot when I'm extremely nervous.) You really hardly notice anything happening in your surroundings, you just see the task before hand and all your thoughts circle around that.

However, in class hyperfocus can be interpreted as misbehaving too, as teachers might think the student is intentionally not responding or working with the group. Even though you get the stuff done perfectly, and fast, it's not something welcome in class.

So yeah, even if often we have difficulty focusing, if something catches our interest, we can be so focused on it that nothing can distract us (that's how extremely long posts by me, that took only a few minutes to write are created. If a post takes longer, the topic didn't catch my interest as much, most of the time.).

Quote:
Not at all. I have few enough friends as it is, taking no interest in the interests of those with whom I associate would get me nowhere.
*hugs* ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Well, Sex can make your pants no longer fit too, if you don't watch out.

By the way, Gilsie, I recently realised that you remind me a bit of !Duke_Commando! of Elf Only Inn. But only a bit.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!