View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #23
Austruck

Hi I'm new here but not to Myst or MOUL or adventure games. I'm thinking that if you want a place to hang out with friends, you don't really want a game per se. It sounds like you DO want something like There, which is, well, a place to hang out with friends. There are a bunch of Uru/Myst-related groups there, and it's easier on the computer system than Second Life (and once you get in with Myst friends, it's a LOT less iffy than Second Life in terms of rudeness, etc.).

I love to go into There, perhaps even avoiding the friends, and get on my hoverboard and zoom around and try to see as much of the open countryside as I can, see what other people have built and what has changed or been added onto. It's definitely non-goal-oriented, although there are also buggy races and stuff that I have participated in with Myst friends. It's very casual and laid back.

The reason I say this is that I can't think of a single game that isn't goal-oriented in some way. That's kinda the point of it being a game.

And, although I, like you, detest pressure and shooting and stuff like that in games, I (amazingly) got into Guild Wars because of a bunch of Myst friends there. I am having a blast, which is no small feat for me, the real wuss when it comes to the FPS-type games. (Hate them.) The nice thing about GW is that you buy the game like most other adventure games, and that's your only fee. No monthly fees or anything, so there's no pressure to get your money's worth on any given month.

Try a few things out and see. Follow a few Myst friends into some other game environment. I think I enjoy some of these other online games solely because I got into them through Myst folks.