View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #1167
Starflux
A Servicable Villain

Yeah. But it's pretty logical considering it's just another puzzle. Otherwise there'd have been no real pressure to speak of, because dying is hardly a reasonable threat.

Currently I'm playing through the original NES Legend of Zelda, and I'm loving it completely. It's so obscure in its puzzles, it doesn't aid you a single bit (later generations of games would always provide some clues on where to bomb walls and stuff, and wouldn't give you a barrier without instructions on how to surpass it) and it's tough as nails. But it's fantastic. The atmosphere is absolutely great and I love how in complete contrast to most games, it starts out bleedingly difficult because you have NOTHING, but then it progressively gets easier and easier as you become stronger. Now THAT's a feeling of progress! If you think about it, it's actually strange and counterintuitive that most games (RPG's no less) start out very easy, but get harder as you are supposed to get stronger. Both sides have valid points of course, but I just really like it in this game that I'm totally owning it already with my twelve hearts and many brilliant items cutting damage in half etc.