View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Kazmajik

I started playing Infocom text adventure games around 1985, when I was 15 or 16. Although I got into them by myself at first, I found that they were more enjoyable to play with other people sometimes. Adventure games are some of the only games that allow for a group of people to gather around the same computer and share in the experience. I moved on to Sierra adventures in the 90s like many others here, which I still consider to be the golden age of the genre.

I think that when I got into the games, there weren't a whole lot of choices available back then. Nowadays, it seems more like the newer games are all about showcasing the latest developments in graphics technology. And we've been inundated with many, many choices but far too little quality.

I don't play adventure games exclusively, so I don't know what to make of the introverted question. Like I said before, I've had some great times playing adventure games with friends. The games lend themselves to that. It's not as much fun for the other person to just watch someone play, say, Bioshock, because they can't participate as much, whereas any of the Gabriel Knight games can be very succesful shared experiences.