View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
starla9

I am 25, female, maybe on the lower end of the general adventure game demographic, as I was in single digits when Sierra was still making adventure games. I've met very few people my age with the same passion. They might have played an adventure game kinda by accident here or there, but don't really know what they are, or think they are all like Myst. Now I like Myst, it was made in my hometown and forced my parents to buy a CD drive, but arrrrrgggghhhhhh!

I got my start with King's Quest V which my computer expert uncle bought for me when I was 8. He'd shown me how to type in DOS commands when I was 6 so I could play Battle Chess and it went on from there. (I must admit my favorite thing about Battle Chess was seeing all the death animations (my grandmother was horrified), I'd willingly use the cheat functions to facilitate this). I've always loved books, and I think adventure gaming can be a natural extension for many people who love books. Both things require patience and slow-burn thinking, which I think the action game oriented market do not really want in their games (not that action-intensive games don't require strategy, quick thinking and patience as you die over and over and over again...just not my kind of patience )

My little brother, now 21, also started playing them with me. He has much broader tastes (he will willingly die in an FPS over and over until he gets his strategy right...I just like to watch in admiration and/or filial concern for his sanity) but I think we are similar...maybe a little introverted, detail-oriented, people that like good stories.

I met a great group of people through our shared love of the Gabriel Knight games, and at the time we ranged from our teens to the 40s. I had a non-any-kind-of-gamer friend play GK1 once. She immediately got frustrated at the first dialogue tree. "Which one do pick? Which one do I pick?" she kept asking, feeling faintly insulted that the game hadn't given a hint as to which answer was the right one. "You pick whichever one you want, you can choose them all," I told her. I don't think she understood (or liked) the idea that the point of the dialogue was to gain more information about the story and characters...not pick choice C off a multiple choice test and move on.