View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Magoozelle

Default Technical Questions Concerning The Adventure Shop

Hello!

I am very eager to use your service but I have a few technical questions first.

What determines a “new PC”? Is it strictly hardware or does your service also log and count IP or ISP addresses? I ask this because I am planning on moving at least a few times within the next couple of years and I do not want to be locked out of my downloaded games. Of course my MAC address will stay the same so I have no issue with that.

Do you have a contingency plan in case something would happen to your site? I will use the example of Valve’s Steam service. Steam will “unlock” all the games users have downloaded in the event that something happens to them. This is so that users can make backup copies on CDs/DVDs and install and play them as a normal game if Steam ever goes defunct. Does The Adventure Shop have a similar plan and if so what is it?

What would happen if a publisher pulls support? I ask because of the recent fiasco with GameTap (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/03/ga...ther-publish/). I know they are completely different services but my concern is that if I purchase a game and the publisher then pulls that game will I still be able to access it or will I lose the game I paid for?

Also let me see if I understand the process entirely:

1. I select and pay for the game
2. I download said game to my PC
3. I save a copy on CDs/DVDs for my own personal private use
4. I can re-download the game up to 3 times or install it on 3 different machines
5. From my physical CD I can reinstall the game an unlimited number of times to one machine

I ask this question because of this statement in Article 7 of the Terms and Conditions of Sale:

In order to prevent fraud the user may only use the games on a limited number of machines (and reinstall a limited number of times). In the event of problems arising from the reasonable re-installation of the games (loss, system alteration, etc.), please go to article 6 - assistance supplied with the service.

Any clarification would be very helpful.

Once again I am very excited by The Adventure Shop and cannot wait to use it!