Thread: Culpa Innata
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Jehane

I think Culpa Innata is one of the finest games I've ever played, despite the lenghty dialogues. I liked the setting a lot; the developers paid a lot of attention to detail, this world really felt alive. I enjoyed walking around the various places, exploring them in detail while trying to solve the murder case as well. I liked the feature that allowed me to change Phoenix's clothes every evening and I laughed out loud when I saw what Roger Arnett's assistant had done to Phoenix's face - I even made her go back and get a second treatment just to see the result and laugh at it Also, I've rarely seen such great face animations before.

Phoenix herself seemed a little naive at times; I won't say she's my favourite AG-heroine and I think it'd have done her good to go through some changes - I expected her to be a little different at the end of the game, to be altered by her experiences but she just stayed the same. The subplot (revenators) was very intruiging; I just wished that it would've been explained in more detail but the ending of the game lets me hope for a sequel. I did like the story, the atmosphere and the whole setting; most of the conversations I enjoyed as well, except for those Phoenix had with her best friend Sandra - Sandra was just too one-dimensional for me, she didn't interest me at all, and I kept wondering why the two women were such good friends. And I must admit one reason why I just didn't like Sandra was that all she ever talked about was sex. It got annoying and pretty boring after a while although it fitted this strange new world the two women inhibited. I just felt it was a little overdone.

I certainly won't say Culpa Innata is the best game I've ever played; that privilege is still reservered for good old Gabriel Knight But it's a good game with an interesting storyline; it gives you an amount of freedom in doing and saying things that's very rare and allows you to replay the game, discovering new things that you might have missed before. It's not perfect but there's some potential there for an even better sequel.