View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #93
Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Banned User

My statement was in response to personal comments made by Ksandra about Jane Jensen, general comments made by Ksandra about those looking forward to Gray Matter, and personal comments made by Ksandra about me.

[I removed a list of quotes here. Anyone interested could go over the thread. The quote referenced below is: "Just because you've gone overboard in the past doesn't mean you can now go to the other extreme and describe any kind of fan expectations as 'overbearing'."]

After the personal slights against Jane, the repeated implication that other people were being less balanced in their views on Gray Matter, the patronising tone, and the baseless accusation of "feeble ad hominem arguments", it was this last comment quoted above that finally provoked my observation that Ksandra was being haughty and rude.

I laid myself on the line by confessing something I am not proud of, that I myself have not always maintained a sense of perspective about being a fan, in an attempt to remedy Ksandra's feeling that he or she had been insulted. Ksandra took that admission, weaved it into a strawman argument, and slapped me across the face with it. That was not particularly nice.

I stand by everything I said and feel justified in having done so. To have said less would have been to turn a blind eye to unfair comments made about people not present to defend themselves, as well as regarding larger issues I care a great deal about. Whether any of this was misguided I am not in a position to judge. At least I know I acted in good faith. And of course I am sorry that the discussion turned out the way it did.

I also mean it when I say I have nothing else against any of the people concerned. Any further comments from me will be about the topic at hand. And now if you will excuse me, I will be putting an adventure game where this forum is, and get some actual adventuring done...

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
(simoadventurecompanion.com)

www.adventurecompanion.com

P.S. There should be zero tolerance for personal bashing of game designers who are clearly doing their best in endeavours they have invested themselves in. This behaviour is one of the manifestations of the exaggerated sense of entitlement I spoke of, and deserves only scorn. It does not help that it mostly comes from anonymous people unwilling to put themselves on the line.

Last edited by Simo Sakari Aaltonen; 02-29-2008 at 02:10 AM.