View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #76
Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Banned User

Ksandra wrote:
It is most definitely the publisher's job to market the game, and I've no doubt that this was part of their contract with Jensen and Tonuzaba.
Market as in offer for sale, yes, of course. To promote as in do PR, not necessarily.

I simply claim no knowledge of this contract. I do not know for a fact that they are contractually obligated to promote the game at all, or if so, to what extent. They may well be, but I do not know that. Let me know when you do.

I was responding to Fienepien's comment that it is "part of the publisher's *job* to keep other people informed about what's going on". The definitions of publisher and publish do not include doing publicity or PR, and especially not communicating with private individuals, nice as that is when it happens. You can look this up.

(I did. Regarding the extent of publicity, The Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, Second Edition includes as one of the definitions of the verb publish, "to make publicly or generally known". Which the publisher of Gray Matter clearly has done. That is all the definitions say on the subject of doing publicity.)

Fienepien wrote:
I don't think you understand the nature of PR.
And I think you have an imprecise definition of publisher. I also think you expect me to react to what you mean even when it is not what you say.
I've been playing adventures for 22 years and I have a very different recollection of the "old days" and the use of PR. But I can see there's no point in discussing the subject with you.
A bit harsh. I have nothing personal against you. Too bad you feel differently about me. I have been playing adventures for as long as you have. What does that have to do with anything?

It is also pretty convenient for you to imply that you have something relevant to say on the subject of the old days and the time people spent going through PR materials versus the time they spent playing the game itself, and then end your part of the discussion.

Oh well. Looking forward to Gray Matter.

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
(simoadventurecompanion.com)

www.adventurecompanion.com

Last edited by Simo Sakari Aaltonen; 02-28-2008 at 12:41 AM.