View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #1143
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

I'm giving the Witcher a go, and enjoying it. Visually its a wonder, I soon got used to the camera and running about everywhere is a joy. Everywhere is just gorgeous.

I wish they ramped up the potion taking effects over and above increasing damage output and resistance thresholds. About halfway through the game you get a recipe for 'seeing invisible creatures' which is irrelevant to the story (invisible creatures cut) but the visual effect when you take it is 'serious business'. I love the toxicity mechanic balancing out the overly ambitious alchemist.

Building combos with your swords is good fun, with character development actually improving the animation (new moves the longer you combo). The journal, quest, maps and glossary are also a huge stride forward for crpgs.
You just can't get lost or stuck. Some may find it a bit too much handholding but you don't have to use it so its still fucking awesome.

The only real weak points are the random crashing (memory errors?) that tends to occur after long play when making area transitions, mostly. And long term character interaction. The characters you meet once and move on are great but those few you interact with over a longer period need serious work because they really break immersion with their terrible casual dialogue, or rather the lack of it (translation issue?).

Version 1.2 is very playable, but I'm even more keen to play the upcoming improved edition (with toolset!), hopefully on a new machine so I can play on maximum graphics settings. Medium is still as I've said already a visual wonder. Puts nwn2 to shame.

Edit: Just have to add, the music is also brilliant - mood setting stuff everywhere and a bit of guitar rock (ala diablo 2) during intense battles.

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 02-27-2008 at 06:22 PM.