View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #3108
Panthera
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

The Mummy
For the first time actually.
I agree (with the fans on IMDB) that the special effects are really good, and the humour actually works most of the time, but I do not agree that the story is good!
Come on, you have this powerful priest committing the ultimate crime, therefore you bury him with a horrible curse making him a super powerful being if ever released, after that, you shove him into a "prison" using the same key that you use to the holy books, and put a lot of gold near him so that gold diggers want to find the grave, and don't even give the key to the protectors!

Oh yeah, and you put a map to this place that should never be opened, in the key!
The protectors are also completely incompetent. They go four people onto the boat to get the map, even though two people on the boat has been there before, and they wait until after the adventures have opened the grave before they attack the second time, where upon they give up and just say "don't continue, you'll die".. yeah..

In the end they accomplish nothing besides killing a load of people, ruining the grave, the holy books and all the old artefacts, and the protector thanks them?!

Add to that that most of the actors really over-play their parts, and a lot of the dialogue is cramped. (and I could see how the story would unfold a mile away, most of the movie I was going "and now she falls asleep" or "oh, look, more monsters, I never saw that coming"..) From the start of the movie it just felt like a B-movie (not b-movies as a positive; independent studio, unknown good actors and such, but B-movie like something people use to bash movies) even though it obviously had a good budget and good special effects.

4/10

Then again, I'm not overly fond of the Indiana Jones movies either.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery