View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
LuigiHann

http://pc.ign.com/articles/846/846123p1.html

Quote:
John Melchior: I took this game over after Magna Cum Laude and the initial designing of its sequel, but after we sat down and reviewed the last game and looked to where they wanted to take it we decided to put the brakes on this franchise and bring it back in a big way. The last game was torn apart and I think it was just the wrong approach for this franchise. Most of the criticisms of the game were not off base. This game is a total departure from the last game. I think it's safe to say that for the first time Larry is actually a game with tried and true mechanics and a vision that it catered towards today's gamers.

IGN: Will there be the same emphasis on mini-games as the last Larry title?

John Melchior:
There really is nothing we are bringing over from the last game. With Team17 aboard we knew we had a developer that could handle comedy and an animation style that fit the new direction. This allowed me and the writers to handle the heavy lifting of the storytelling and script writing. Whatever we threw at them they got it and knew how execute on it. Obviously comedy in games is rare and far between so once we saw what Team17 could do we knew we had something. They were able to concentrate on creating game mechanics and a new conversation system that actually has gameplay attached to it. This game has some mini-games but they are not the focus on the game, they are small addictive side quests that fit into the storyline.
It seems like they're at least trying to do better with this one than they did with the last one.