View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #26410
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
It sounds easy, but seriously, it's not. You can't comprehend it until you've tried. I don't have that much experience with pulling swords out of people (read: None. I usually leave them stuck in them, and buy a new one... ), but I've lots of experience with pulling arrows out of the targets (they're made of straw that's held together by a large metal collar) at our archery range. Seriously, that can be really tough. Often I have to turn around, put my back against the targer, and pull the thing out overhead, and it's still pretty difficult (no, we can't put our foot against the target, lean back and pull, as that way we could only grip the arrow a the end, and that way the arrow gets bent. But putting your back against the target is similar.). And oftentimes the arrow isn't even buried in that deeply (2 to three inches, most of the time), and still it can be difficult. The thicker the arrow, the harder it gets. Oh, and even though I admit I am not really the strongest, but the fact that my bow is from when I was 16, and thus has the weakest strength they had available, that balances it out. And sometimes the instructors had trouble pulling out my arrows too, and they are quite strong. Oh, and no, the arrows don't have wide tips. The tips are basically just like a sharpened stick.

The head of our club uses a Compound Bow (I think these would be something for you, Giligan, even though no explosives are involved.)

-
But a bundle of straw is incapable of holding air, thus producing suction. What you're describing sounds the straw catching behind the arrow head, and "holding" it.

I've seen compound bows quite a bit; they're very popular with deer hunters here in the US. The ridiculous "camouflaged macho bow-wielding deer hunter" image kinda soured me to them.