View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #3039
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Enchanted
I was the only one in my family with any interest in this movie, considering the clichéd plot. But I actually got my mother and one of my sisters to come. Meanwhile, my other sister kept insisting that I shouldn't go to it, that it's a "chick flick", that anonymous friends of hers had told her it was bad, that it's just plain stupid. In the end, she came too! And here's the kicker: we all loved it! Excellent movie. I found Giselle's outlook on love not only refreshing but even insightful.

Part of the reason I wanted to see this movie was the promise of 2D animation. I don't think they're quite there yet.* Don't get me wrong- it was all very fun to watch. But after seeing so much wonderful Disney animation lately it was a bit of a letdown, because this isn't really in the same league. There are very few in-between frames (What I'm trying to say is that it felt choppy.), the character designs were generic, the composition of the frames was only standard, etc. I had a similar mild disappointment with the songs: while it's wonderful to hear new compositions from Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, this is nowhere near the quality of their work in Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas or The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

But it all worked perfectly in the context of the story. After all, it's sort of supposed to remind you of other experiences rather than create new ones. Most of the homages were more tasteful than they seemed (taken out of context) in the trailer.

Anyway, good movie. Really good movie. Don't be afraid to see it.

*If you're a bit confused as to what I'm talking about: As I understand it, most of Disney's 2D animators were fired after Home on the Range, when the CEO back then decided they should only work with 3D computer graphics. So they're building the whole 2D business up again from scratch.