View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #43
Josho
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
Josh, it is a logical fallacy--begging the question--to say that because most of X is a certain way, all of X is that way.
I've never once used the word "all." I've pretty consistently said "most." And I've also always said the problem is greater in larger and older companies, which certainly connotes that I think the problem is lesser elsewhere.

Quote:
It is a logical fallacy--appeal to emotion--to say that boo-hoo, certain businesses I worked with were stupid and mean and made decisions that I didn't like and they were stupid decisions and the reason for their ultimate downfall, and if you don't believe me, you're stupid and mean, too.
A logical fallacy and an appeal to emotion are two vastly different constructs. A logical fallacy is an incorrect CONCLUSION drawn from a set of premises (which may or may not themselves be faulty). An appeal to emotion is not even a conclusion, but a form of argument in which the arguer specifically avoids the use of logic (flawed or otherwise) and promotes emotion as the deciding factor.

And the whole "boo-hoo" thing? Where is that coming from? I have not once here lamented about my personal treatment at the hands of any publisher (or developer, for that matter).

Quote:
How can I know if you are lying? I don't know you, and I don't know your reputation.
Then ask, if you don't believe what I've said.

Quote:
All I know is that I am reading an attempt to argue a case, and the argument doesn't hold up for me because you didn't provide any specific evidence until I dragged it out of you.
You asked once, and I complied immediately. I'm not sure how that constitutes having to drag it out of me. And I find it odd that suddenly my whole argument holds up better for you because I gave you one example of incompetence from one publisher in the industry.

Quote:
And the reason I suggest that perhaps you have a problem relating effectively with people is that you have reacted emotionally, aggressively, and defensively to every comment I have made, when in fact, nothing I've said was meant as a personal attack on you, just the construct of your argument.
Provided you actually read what I wrote in message 29, you started off questioning the construct of my argument by actually questioning my integrity. You said, in effect, "I assume you're lying about your experience until you prove otherwise." You have phrased that in far more impersonal terms, but it's still attacking the argument by saying that without additional proof, I had to be assumed to be lying . Now you're "suggesting" that I have problems relating to people because of they I responded to you. A second personal attack, Merricat. Well played.

The last word is yours, as we've already strayed way too far afield. Go for it.

--Josh