View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #30
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
As long as Vivendi owns SQ, you can't make a SQ sequel and put it in the public domain. I would have thought that was self-evident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
You would think so, wouldn't you? But other fangames have already done it. The ones who kept a low profile, released their games with no prior fanfare, and then had the publisher shrug, say "So what?", and ignore it.
They have released games without an agreement with the copyright holder, yes. IANAL, but I wonder if not the copyright status of those games may be that they are as much the property of Vivendi as those who made the deal. (I get that impression from what Aabn writes.) If that's not the case, the best case scenario for the creators is something that nobody has the right to copy.

IMHO, the only reasonable course for anyone making a fan game would be to get a deal before any work is done. Then no work is wasted if no satisfactory deal can be made. High or low profile - fan support or not - all that talk is just pointless speculations anyway.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 11-18-2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: fixed link