View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #16
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
Since there WAS no "fan response" to the closure of SQ7, Vivendi would not have had a reason to extend the offer to SQ7. This requires quite an assumption: that Vivendi now treats every instance of fangame development as if its closure will prompt a tremendous outpouring of fan ire, and therefore make a similar offer to each.
Seems like a reasonable assumption to me. If I were a company who had gotten such a huge outpouring of support from fans of a fangame in a property I thought was dead, I'd be a little wary of the possibility of another similar situation. And, even if I wasn't, the situation would have shown me that there might be other useful options besides just a plain shutdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
But to blame the SQ7 group (and/or any individual associated with it) for not taking it upon itself to revitalize the SQ community, rally the fanbase, issue constant updates about how wonderful the game was going to be, toot its own horn with newsletters and websites and demos, or whatever, that was NEVER the job we undertook -- and you know that (especially given that you were at the first meeting). So I agree, it IS selfish of you -- and unfair, too.
Selfish and unfair of me to expect a big fangame being made by fans to stay connected to and participate in the community they started out from and are making the game for, and let the fans know that the game isn't dead (aside from very vague promise updates once in a blue moon) and is making progress? Gee, I'm *so* sorry that's unreasonable.

The one fan thing that SQ7 did spring out, the SQ Omnipedia, has become completely overrun by spam because there's no community left to take care of it and the admin of it hasn't been helping it out with IP bans or anything either. Again, pretty sad.

FWIW, I actually thought Colin should take the opposite extreme anyway. I could live with him keeping a low profile... it was actively courting Vivendi at the same time that was the really bad move, IMHO. Completely negates any benefit from laying low.

I'm not disappointed that you didn't sell out to Vivendi, BTW. I respect that choice. I'm just kind of sorry that the way the whole thing was handled means that the team now has pretty much nothing at all to show for it SQ-wise.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."