View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 01:55 AM   #14
Josho
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie View Post
It depends. Was Vivendi going to simply shut down the fangame, no quarter, and the fan response prompted them to make *some* kind of offer? Or did Vivendi straight from the get-go make the "sign everything over to us and still release or we shut you down" offer?

In the former case, the fan response made a difference (and for your game as well).
Since there WAS no "fan response" to the closure of SQ7, Vivendi would not have had a reason to extend the offer to SQ7. This requires quite an assumption: that Vivendi now treats every instance of fangame development as if its closure will prompt a tremendous outpouring of fan ire, and therefore make a similar offer to each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie View Post
I realize that your main concern is with releasing the game. But my admittedly selfish POV as a fan is that I want there to *be* a community to care about the game when it's released.

If it had rallied the fan interest and still got shut down, there'd still be the result of the renewed community to make it have been worthwhile.
Well, I can certainly agree that it's fair to be disappointed that we didn't sell out to Vivendi and finish the game. But to blame the SQ7 group (and/or any individual associated with it) for not taking it upon itself to revitalize the SQ community, rally the fanbase, issue constant updates about how wonderful the game was going to be, toot its own horn with newsletters and websites and demos, or whatever, that was NEVER the job we undertook -- and you know that (especially given that you were at the first meeting). So I agree, it IS selfish of you -- and unfair, too.

--Josh