View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
ozzie

Quote:
Quest for Glory 2 remake
Afaik AGDI resolved that issue with Vivendi.

But yes, Vivendi can be legitimately called dumb. Some tried to defend them when they did the same thing with the KQIX fan project, but at least they could also sort that out.
But it wasn't excusable.
They were also working years on that project and it got even promotion on Gamespot. Vivendi didn't care for King's Quest, but still shut down the project because it could.
Vivendi stood in a bad light then, and probably was also a factor that hurted the sales of the KQ collection.

It's always like they think "well, a bunch of the most hardcore fans franchises are working on these fan games. We will tolerate their project for a few years and send a cease & desist shortly before completion to piss them off in a big way".

Personally, Vivendis decision are more hurting their business than anything else.
Their lazy put together compilation of the old series angered most fans because they just used DosBox to get them run on modern Windows.
For some games the copy protection hints were missing, KQVII wasn't in the newest version,...

I hate it when people say that you should buy those stuff to show Vivendi that you still care for the franchise.
But no, I don't buy it, because I want to send them the signal that they should do those compilations in a proper way. Why I should buy these game when I already have them in the DOS version or can find them cheaper on eBay???
With an updated interpreter, it would have been different.

Well, I already strayed off from topic.
So, Vivendi makes incredibly silly mistakes, which are not only punishing for the fan communities, but also for themselves, because the fans will boycott the compilations and other Vivendi products.
In the end, it's some kind of poetic justice.

Still, I hope the SQVII the can sort it out with Vivendi like the KQIX team could.

To sum it up: I sense a pattern.