View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #2973
SnorkleCat
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
The Mummy Returns is a horrible sequel. They added an annoying kid and a dumb past-lives story arc, and Rachel Weisz is no longer charming. They had a good formula with the first movie, but they somehow screwed that up.
I completely agree. I really liked Rachael Weisz in the first film, but they took her character in a completely different direction in the second one. This is a classic case of Sequelitis, where they take a fun concept and try to beef it up for the sequel. I would much rather they take the same characters and simply tell a second story, rather than monkey with the essential flavor of the thing.

Yesterday, I saw The Invasion and 3:10 to Yuma in the theater at Cavendish. I thought that the Invasion really fell apart somewhere in the middle. It also was full of predictable situations, and too many panicky car chase sequences. I quite enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma...it had a very old fashioned feel to it, sort of a throwback to the old school Western, though I was slightly puzzled by the ending....
Spoiler:
I mean, Dan wants the honor that comes with marching Ben Wade onto the train. Ben has Dan in a choke hold...so Dan tells him the story of how he just wants to be a hero ONCE in his life so his son can look up to him...so Ben pulls him up and they run off to the train together... so Dan gets the credit for having walked Ben Wade to the 3:10.... But, why is Dan satisfied with this? He only succeeds because Ben Wade lets him. Or is he successful because what he said actually does get Ben Wade onto the train, so in a sense he DID do it, just not through force? Is he doing it for his son's benefit and doesn't care if he really succeeded or not?