Thread: Game magazine
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
insane_cobra
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
Reviews are all subjective, I'm sure one can concoct some (in my opinion, ridiculous) way of justifying giving Halo 3 a perfect score, but if we are to take any merit in any form of objectivity (or rather intersubjectivity) when dealing with games, I can say with certainty that the score is simply false. It's not that good of a game. Not if you actually start looking at the actualities of the game in comparison to other FPS games. Is it a thrilling experience to be part of the phenomena that is «Halo»? Maybe. I don't think so, but some might think it is. But from a technical perspective, if we are to be objective and empirical about games at all (not saying that we should use it as any kind of definitive grading), it's not a perfect game.
As it's explained in the review, the score is not so much for the game itself, but for the whole package. Really, even when you compare it to something like Orange Box with its five distinct games, it's hard to beat the amount of high quality content you get with Halo 3: the single player campaign, multiplayer, four player co-op with the whole skull system, Forge and the saved movies feature. They scored the whole package and said its abundance of player-centric features represents the way of the future (I sure hope they're right).

Now, I'm not going to argue your opinion of Halo as you're entitled to it, but it's a great game that almost lives up to the hype. I recently replayed Halo: CE and I found that I actually liked it better than the first time around. Maybe it's because I played on a higher difficulty setting that really brought out the great enemy AI or maybe it's just that once you get familiar with the game's shortcomings, it becomes much easier to concentrate on its good sides. And I don't know if you've played it, but there are many good sides to it.