Thread: Game magazine
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Eregian
The Dude

Edge magazine! Seriously, it's the most professional game writing I've ever seen, with spot on clever insights. It's subtitle is 'videogame culture', I think it speaks for the maturity they use to discuss the theme.

A few remarks. It's heavilgy geared towards game developers themselves and uses 1/4 of the magazine for job recruiting advertising. The cost of the magazine is also quite high, but the supreme writing makes up for that.

Lastly, it covers all genres and platforms, so at times there can be features on lots of meh-games. But those are just the times, every time and again, another NBA, Madden, generic shooter number 362158. Once again the writing makes up for it, it's also fun reading about the not so interesting sounding games.

They're pretty tough on scores too, but fair. Recent examples: Bioshock (8), God of War II (7). Two examples of games glorified worldwide, but once you play them and compare your experiences with Edge's review text and score you'll notice they're always closer to the truth than other media. If Edge gives a game a 7, it's worth your hard earned money. If you see higher scores, it can be seen as a must-buy game!

They have given 6 games a perfect score:

- Super Mario 64
- Gran Turismo
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Half-life 2
- Halo 3 (just recently ofcourse)

Halo 3 wouldn't interest me, but now Edge has given it a 10, I'm even tempted to buy a 360. As you can see, they earn your trust quickly.

Try one isue, you won't regret it. Also post your findings, curious to know what your opinion is...