View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #928
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
My gripe so far is that I have no idea what I'm doing.
There is a story there, but it's not spelled out. There's a lot of backstory that you only read about if you use the scan visor on computers and "Lore entries" on the walls. So if you're not interested in the story, you barely see it, but the more you read the more it's revealed. It's a lot like Myst in that respect.

But it sounds like you're not having much fun uncovering the story for yourself. Okay. So I'll spell it out a little:

Spoiler:
The ship at the beginning belonged to the Space Pirates, the villains of the series. According to the computer read-outs there, they'd been doing tests with a material called Phazon. There were several of those big bug-creatures, which (as scans showed) they were injecting with Phazon as part of their experiments. You saw the disastrous results.

The dinosaur-like creature was Ridley, one of the Space Pirates' leaders. You might remember him from the first Metroid game, where you shot him to little bits for their dangerous experiments on Metroids. Evidently he was revived as some sort of cyborg. Samus chases him down to the planet to see what no-doubt dangerous scheme he's up to. Her ultimate goal is to stop whatever it is the Space Pirates are doing with this Phazon material.

There's a lot more to the story than that. Some things which might at first seem contrived are actually plot points. Case in point: the power-ups. These are not the same pieces of equipment Samus had in the beginning- those were damaged beyond repair in the explosion. But it actually does make a certain amount of sense that they'd be here. To explain how would mean telling you too much of the history of Tallon IV, so I won't. You should discover it for yourself.

Last edited by stepurhan; 09-17-2007 at 11:59 PM.