View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Marek
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Yeah, I saw it at Games Convention. Impressive demo. If you are going to be nitpicky about the graphics, the character art and animation isn't always smooth as butter, but it's fine as it gives a comic book-like feel to the game.

Somehow I was a little bit reminded of The Dig. But only for like a third of what I saw, so ultimately that comparison may be meaningless. But it's got a bit of sci-fi going on, and it has characters in jumpsuits, so there you go.

You travel back in time in a capsule(I believe from the future to an alternate version of our present time), and then you have to do this puzzles to set up this tripod with an elaborate antenna to make contact with the other time travellers. When you walk to the edge of the scene, multiple layers scroll horizontally to reveal that you are in fact on the edge of a hill looking out on a destroyed/abandoned San Francisco, with the Bay Bridge in the distance. The music swells up, the character is like 'oh shit, this is what happens when we screw up', and it all really works.

There's still a lot of questions in my mind about this project. I can't really judge the writing at this point, for instance. But it looks good so far.

Oh, and it should be said that while the climate theme is pretty on-the-nose in the trailer, the theme appears to be woven into actual game in a much more natural way.

Last edited by Marek; 08-27-2007 at 01:32 PM.