View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #2818
kuze
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
As Spiwaksie points out, the IMDb ratings aren't perfect. Few people who are NOT into the genre will go up and give their dissenting vote. Did you?

Scarface had everything going for it, even if you don't like the genre. It had direction, screenplay, dialog, talent, action, suspense, photo direction--so many things about this film were done so well.

And you don't have to be into "cocaine, guns and politics" to be affected by the film. The point is that you're being immersed into a world that's alien to you--did that not happen to you, or did you just not like where you were taken?
No, I didn't rate Scarface on imdb - but maybe I should have.

Yes, maybe I didn't like the movie for it's genre, I don't know. I am preoccupied towards gangster films, I guess - I wasn't too amazed by Reservoir Dogs either (Godfather on the other hand I liked). I am not a good film reviewer, I first judge a movie by the my stomach feelings, and for me Scarface only caused boredom and the strong sensation of "been there, seen that", maybe because of GTA, which I didn't like either. I couldn't wait until the movie was over. Direction? Yeah, maybe. Great screenplay? Allright. Talent? Al Pacino, check.

Suspension? Meh. The story development was so obvious I may as well have read the plot in advance. Immersion into an alien world? Well, I felt like I have been taken there and back again too many times. It wasn't alien, and I strongly believe it wasn't a realistic depiction of this particular world either. It doesn't need to be, yes, but this cliche of a movie was too much for me to take.

Also,Scarface may be good from a movie critic perspective, a milestone in it's genre etc. but I'll remember it as a mediocre action movie with Al Pacino.