View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #2816
Spiwak
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
It was the implementation mostly that I disliked. The film would suddenly go silent, there would be a pause, then the narrator would say his piece, and the film would continue. Perhaps because I wasn't listening to the speech, and only paying attention to the ambient noises and music, that I noticed their absence more, but I just found it annoying. It seemed to break up the continuity, and I felt it could have been integrated better. Also, some parts of the narration seemed a little lengthy, due to the inclusion of unnecessary information.
Spoiler:
e.g. the part about the car crash that happened two years prior and the dead chickens etc.

It's not that I'm fundamentally against narration or anything, and I agree that a lot of details pertinent to the story were revealed in it, I just felt it could have been done better in this instance.
It's not that though, that I thought the narration was essential. As all narrators do, it represents a god-figure that knows everything about everyone. One of the big themes of the movie was the separation of social strata. Tenoch was wealthy and Julio was middle class, and Luisa seems pretty well off, as well. As they ride around locked away in their car they drive by all sorts of examples of a failing economy, beggars and protesters and poor villages, etc., but aren't really affected by it as they're caught up in their rather childish pursuits of sex (with Luisa and each other). Because the story itself is rather disconnected from all this, we have the narrator, who is disconnected from the story, able to tell us everything going on not only in the lives of the characters but everything else as well, thus making everything equal.