View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

I finished the game; it took me between 90 and 120 minutes. As a graduate project on almost zero budget, as a tribute to FMV and an exercise in style it is, I think, a full success. So thumbs up. As a game in its own right-- let's say I'd play a sequel if it was free, but won't lose any sleep waiting for it. My main likes and dislikes follow.

The Good:

To my knowledge, first freeware FMV adventure. That's 1000 points for ambition right there.

The setting and atmosphere of "future noir" is realised perfectly. I was expecting to bump into Tex Murphy or Ray McCoy any minute. The liveliness of the world is helped by the fact that, for its length, the game had more optional stuff to do than I could ask for.

The acting isn't award-worthy, but exceeded my expectations. The actress who portrayed Alice's mother was particularly believable.

Story was fun: just the right mix of cliche and unexpected (the reversal of traditional sexes of the protagonist and femme fatale, for example, or the fact that

Spoiler:
you don't end up helping the Resistance

). I even liked the way some loose ends were left unresolved (and I usually hate it, so that's saying something), like

Spoiler:
Who shot at the beginning?

I wish they were less similar, but I digged the multiple endings. Especially the countdown and how procrastinating with the first decision caused you to have less time to make the second one, was a nice touch.

The Bad:

The lack of subtitles! Especially since a couple of lines were recorded in distinctly worse quality (some of the taxi driver's lines, for example).

Perhaps that was deliberate homage to "interactive movies" of yesteryear, but the gameplay was the weakest aspect. I don't mind linearity as such, but the order in which things have to be done is sometimes completely arbitrary:

Spoiler:
After all the ordeal to place a tracking device on her body, Alice says she has a hunch Denton will go to the Victoria Station? And when she's not there, we are suddenly able to find the hidden passage? It makes no sense. We already knew the Station is important, and haven't learnt anything new. So why wasn't it possible to check behind the candy machine before?

Ironically, despite its linearity, the game often failed to recognize what I have already done.

Spoiler:
The worst example was when I visited Alistair Security for the first time and the receptionist greeted me with "Again,...". Also, Alice commented that she left the gun in a car, although it was already taken by the Resistance.

What was the point of the flashback in the middle? I was expecting either more flashbacks to flesh out characters' backstory (yes, I like Lost) or some kind of pay-off to this one. Neither happened, so I am not sure why you put it there.

That's all I can think of now, hopefully you'll consider feedback to be constructive. Also, welcome to the forums.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 08-02-2007 at 06:37 AM.