View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 10:05 AM   #69
Kingzjester
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I've never played an AGS game with 8 directional animations, although I've definitely played some quality AGS games. The thing is, most people who make amateur adventures aren't professional-quality amateurs, they're doing everything themselves for free as a hobby. When it comes to making an amateur game, efforts are generally better spent making a more compelling story, better puzzles, or more well-developed characters than animating multiple sprites from as many angles as possible. I don't know how many 2d sprites you've animated from 8 angles, but it takes serious time, and the payoff isn't really worth it unless you only have one main character and no moving NPCs. Not to mention, many professional adventure games don't have 8 animated directions. 8 is a fairly arbitrary number anyway. Why not 32? After all, you don't want to sacrifice quality.
I'm gonna have eight. 32 is just gratuitous and I feel that it is silly of me to even address that point. I will have eight and still make a decent story and the whole nine yards since I will animate only ONE walk cycle for the lead character and film it from eight directions.

Most of the animation (all character animation in any case) I'll do in 3D because I am a shitty animator - can't draw the same thing twice to save my grandmother - while a fairly decent sculptor.