Thread: Recipes Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 03:16 AM   #68
Davies

I heartily dislike cooking, but here's a super-easy French toast that makes a good lunch or light dinner. I've been making it since I was about 10 years old, so pretty much anybody can do it if they're safe around fire!

French toast for one

Break 2 eggs into a flattish, wide sort of bowl. Add a glug of milk (or condensed milk is fine too), a small sprinkle of salt, and a pinch of sugar. Beat with a fork until mixed.

Lightly oil a frying pan or griddle, or melt a little butter in it, and heat until very hot. Test the heat by sprinkling a drop of water onto the pan -- it should sizzle and snap.

Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture until it's coated all over but not soggy. Drop onto the pan and leave it alone until it's nicely browned on the bottom. It won't take long. Turn over and cook a little longer until it's browned on the other side.

Keep doing this until you're out of egg mixture, probably about 4 slices of bread. If you've got enough French toast and still have some egg mixture left, you can pour it into the pan and cook it as scrambled eggs. (You might want to add a little more salt to counteract the sugar.)

Eat quickly while it's still hot, in any way that you would eat pancakes, such as with maple syrup or jam. Delicious even without any topping.

I think good-quality white bread makes the best French toast, but you can try it with any kind of bread you like. If it's a little bit stale, so much the better, as it's less likely to go soggy and break apart.