View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:55 AM   #2678
aries323

-eh-

I'm sorry to say that I found Memoirs of a Geisha (very) boring. I've rented it on a DVD some time ago, since my sister and her two (big) girls (minus her husband) praised the movie. I really didn't know what to expect, though.

Maybe I (as a man?) thought there would be so much more S-E-X in the movie than there actually was? Or maybe I just didn't pick up on the subtle emotional japanese clues that lingers underneath and in between the women in the geisha house.

I did enjoy the setting, though. It's really one of the best portrayals of the japanese culture from about 100-150 years ago (if it's even that far way timewise?).

The story IS told from one geisha girl's perspective, from she, as a very young girl comes to the geisha house. We follow the relationships between the girls develop, and much much more, so you really should it for yourself,
I think...

edit:
I just sat 'a prarie home companion again' --- and how beautifully Meryl Streep sings, especially in the song 'goodby to my mama (and my uncles and aunts)' as well as Lindsay Lohan's sining of Frankie & Johny were sweethearts is top notch Please see this movie

it really IS that good ---

Last edited by aries323; 07-06-2007 at 09:43 AM. Reason: content added