View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
crabapple

I liked Return to Mysterious Island. It was the first game to use that kind of inventory where you can combine and take apart different objects. I didn't enjoy either of the following games as much. I was disappointed by Voyage because there was too much trial and error involved in figuring which combinations produced a usable item. There wasn't any real world basis for most of the combinations. And there was too much back and forthing to get things you needed more of for your experimenting. The game would only let you pick up 3 of an object, even though you needed a lot more. Also, objects didn't stack in inventory, so they took up more space than they really had to. Destination: Treasure Island was too easy IMO, and I don't think it took advantage of the inventory combination capability of the interface as well as the earlier games. I think Kheops was responding to complaints that the inventory was too large, but the game suffered for it.

Maybe the game you play first affects which is your favorite of the three. Return to Mysterious Island was published first and was the first that I played. For someone who played Voyage first, that would be the first time they encountered the novelty of the inventory system.