Thread: Gun Owners?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #38
PILMAN

Send a message via AIM to PILMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
The north of Finland, Sweden and Norway is called Nordkalotten and is indeed mostly wilderness. Up there hunting is a part of life and I'm sure every family owns shotguns for hunting. I'm not sure about wolves being a big threat, but I know that bears are becoming a problem in some parts of northen Sweden as they have increased in numbers these last 5-10 years.

From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Finland
And reading the sections Regulations I find this:
It's the same as in Sweden with perhaps exception for that part: souvenir.

Anyway, keeping guns of different sorts for personal protection isn't common at all over here and I sincerely hope it stays that way.
Not sure the guns specifically have to do with crime though. I think there are other factors that come into play. Russia has very strict gun laws but has some very high murder rates, same with South Africa which has virtually banned new gun sales and it has the highest murder rates in the world.

There was a study done on Europe and guns, it is quite interesting if you would like to take a look.

This Harvard Study clearly demonstrates the flaws, deliberate or honest, in other 'studies' such as that Kellerman fiasco.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

It also addresses why comparisons between American and European gun crime rates are unrealistic and slanted. In section II, focuses on the myth of "less guns=less suicides".

Harvard Law Website: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
I still don't get what's so interesting about guns.
I'm sure there are plenty of things you don't get?

I like history. Guns are historic. But more than that, I can think of no other hobby that opens such a wide variety of scientific, historical and social topics. Do golfers discuss the metallurgy in their clubs? No. Do bowlers discuss the historical significance of the pins? No. Guns, reloading and shooting have introduced me to metallurgy, history, physics, chemistry, research, mathematics, social studies, law, politics, military history, wildlife biology, mechanics and a host of other sciences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
I have no idea why a civilian person should or would own an automatic machinegun rifle whatnot like that thing in the first post? I kind of get it why someone would own a handgun to go shoot at some gun club.

I know that I'll never own a firearm in my life, no need for such and I got enough "exciment" concerning guns in the army already years ago.
Maybe if you took the time to get past emotional feelings and what you see in a picture, you would have taken the time to read that I wrote it is a "semi-automatic" firearm, not a fully automatic machine gun.