View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #87
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

One misconception about Texas is that our state is the only one legally allowed to fly the state flag at the same height as the American flag. That's not true, though I would imagine we actually do it more than anyone else. I see Texas flags as much or more than American flags these days, and they are always flying right alongside the stars and stripes.

Which brings me to another thing people don't understand about Texans. Why are they so damn patriotic about their STATE when they should be more patriotic about their country? Well, it's brainwashing. Ha ha. I mean, I suffer the same problem, being born and raised here. How many high schools in other states devote a year of history to the history of their state? There isn't even "California History", but there is a year of "Texas History" here. We sang songs about Texas in school, there are a gazillion catch phrases about Texas I've seen all my life, "Don't Mess With Texas" being one example. There are countless bumper stickers around saying stuff like, "I Wasn't Born in Texas, But I Got Here as Fast as I Could!" and "There are 2 Kinds of People: Those Who are Texan, and Those Who Wish They Were." And the ummm...always charming..."I'm From Texas, What Country Are You From?"

So anyway, from very early in our lives we are brainwashed to love Texas. But the flag thing is B.S. Any state can do it.