View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #47
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
That sounds more like the scrolling in Sierra games, actually, in which the "camera" moved over by a full screen's width very rapidly when a character got to the edge. Of course, that was actually a result of the fact that SCI1 didn't allow rooms bigger than 320x200, so two separate screens would be joined by this fake scrolling.

LucasArts games' scrolling was rather good in that they didn't scroll when your character was walking in the middle of the screen, but only when he approached the edge. Still, they did have very wide single screens, impossible in SCI. Plus they scrolled rather slowly, unlike Sierra games in which the screen-scrolling could give you whiplash!

It seems to be rather a fault of the AGS engine that large rooms start scrolling when the character is in the middle of the screen--as you said, SCUMM rooms only scrolled when the character was on the margin. Not something that I think is easily fixable, unfortunately.
I just tested my memory against Monkey Island. When you get close to the edge of the screen, the scene pans quite rapidly over to bring you back to the middle of the screen, while the character keeps moving. Compared to this, Sierra-style scrolling has pros and cons. Exits can be easier to find, but if you hit the edge accidentally you have to go back to the previous screen, which can be more time-consuming. I think it's worth experimenting with different scroll modes (as SSH says, it shouldn't be too hard to code in AGS), such as an in-between solution where exiting to the right scrolls over to put the character at 1/3 from the left, and test whether some sort of scroll indication (e.g. cursor changes to an arrow at the edge of the screen) is helpful or just annoying.

The most important thing is to not go with the default scrolling in AGS, which is motion-sickness-inducing.