View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #12
träum_was_schönes

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
I loathe so many kinds of puzzles.

Items that you know fine well you'll need later on - Cameras, rope, poles, you know, the adventure game basics - that you can't pick up, or sometimes even interact with, until you have a particular conversation. See also places a character will refuse to enter/investigate/open.

"I have no reason to open that cupboard"

What?! You'll pick up bloody rags from a dustbin to fashion a rudimentary rope, but you won't open Doctor Thevillain's cupboard of secret plans and exposition, because you currently don't see the point?!*

What else... it's fun, this... oh, characters who refuse to pick up things that are dirty/wet, when it's obvious they need to.
Two great points! I hate it when characters who will otherwise look in the garbage, sewers, etc suddenly have some strange aversion to shallow water or don't want to open or touch something even though they have done it with similar items thousands of times before.

I think if it is the type of game where the gamer has a huge inventory then you should be able to collect everything right away. In real life you can pick up the coffee cup at any time- not just when your boss mentions she'd like a cup of coffee.

I know we talk about things adventure games could do better a lot on this board, and this would be one of the main things I would change. The puzzles and tasks should make sense for the character and their "world".