View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #28
Enter the Story
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
people playing the game found the changes in style jarring (which seems to be the main concern) Is this something that could be made clear upfront in the setup/story for the game?
Yes, that's the plan. The back story revolves around the hero's unwanted ability to move between "objective" and "subjective" realities. I have a new intro section that begins with a video of me walking up a hill near my house, then this becomes the hill at the start of the game, just to drive home the point about layers of (un)reality. (The main character animation was based on me - its a long story)

HOWEVER... even if I explain it, I think most people won't get it. First, people tend to form judgements very quickly. I will have lost half the potential users before they even get as far as the exolanation for the odd art. Second, the concept is fundamentally complicated (at least until you get used to it). I want the game to be accessible not just to sci-fi geeks, but to other people as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I wasn't sure about the boat when you approached it but when you said it was part of "kid's world" then it fit in
If I do go down the minimalist route, that's the section I will miss the most. The kids' world has some really fun parts, and most of it is drawn by my own children when they were younger, so I'm quite attached to it. On the other hand, a sketchy style gives far more potential for using kids' drawings, just in a different way...