View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #26
Enter the Story
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
Maybe the single factor on which you should base the decision whether to keep the multiple graphic styles or go for a single one is: which will you be able to have more fun with?
A very good question! I love being able to just throw in anything that looks cool. And I love the color and detail of some of the images I'm able to use (generously donated by various folks). But on the other hand I often have ideas that I can't use because they would take too long to draw or (especially) to animate. So on balance I would have most fun with the fastest method, which in the long run is the minimalist one.

At present I've had to remove almost half the game world (the past/future/other nations and undersea parts) because I simply can't get them all added in time. But with simpler graphics I could have the whole thing ready in the first release of the game, and that's really getting me salivating.

Finally, a polished and consistent but minimalist style might, just MIGHT get closer to the Holy Grail of story telling: Give the reader just enough hints and no more, so they create the most incredible story and graphics in their head as they read. That would be just sublime. Maybe it's an unrealistic hope, but you have to dream.