View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
Enter the Story
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
there are people spurn text interfaces because they think point-and-click is an improvement
It's funny you mention that. Text adventures are a great temptation to me, because I'm loking for the most efficient possible way to tell a story. Saying "you are in a cave" is quicker than drawing or rendering a cave, and it conjures up more powerful images in the mind. However, text has some disadvantages, because sometimes a simple thing takes a long time to describe, and (for the user) typing is slower than clicking. I'm slowly coming round to the idea that minimalist art may be the sweet spot, the optimal compromise for efficient story telling. For certain kinds of story at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I take it that this minimalist art is going to be fully animated. Is that right?
Yes, that's one of the (secondary) reasons for doing it. At present I'm using a style that's based on photos, and animating this takes FOREVER, yet the results look nothing special. It's really frustrating to take a whole week on something simple like "he climbs up, walks over, bends down, picks up, turns round..." I wish I could just think "it would be nice if a whole crowd ran toward the camera" then animate it in five minutes. Well with minimalist art maybe I can!