View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #679
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
You're 21 alright. And I'm 40 years old, have a Fine Arts degree, have lived twice as long as you, experienced as much in my life,, played games on the original Atari 2600 and Intellivision, and many people who CHOOSE to play these kinds of games on console have their reasons. Just because you've played some of the great games in this particular genre shouldn't mean you should belittle intelligent people like me who are also a very powerful force in the market for video games. I for one AM NOT SORRY that I don't meet YOUR standards.
You know, if I may be frank, that's one of the most insensitively snobbish and thoughtlessly dismissive remarks I've heard here in a long time.

JemyM suggested that developers think of the console gamers as less intelligent, not that they actually are. It may be wrong or ungrounded belief, but how is it belittling you? He even gave specific examples of what he considered to be "dumbing down" the RPG elements for the console audience. Showing that these examples don't necessairly have to equal "dumbing down", or providing examples of PC-exclusives that do the same, or discussing console games that are arguably deep and complex in their own right -- now, those would be three possible ways to refute his original point. Asserting that you are an intelligent and experienced man, doesn't.