View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Shoal

Send a message via AIM to Shoal

I just finished The Beast Within for the first time and was incredibly disappointed. The more emotionally demanding the scene the more hokey it got; this was, I think, due to sub-par acting... or poor directing (I can't really decide). Making matters worse, I totally lost interest in the story during Chapter 4 with all that tedious "research" (which really boiled down to clicking on absolutely everything and everything and everything but always managing to miss at least something which meant that every screen in every area of that whole blasted chapter had to be pixel-hunted to infinity in order to progress the story).

By the end my total lack of interest in the story and my inability to even emotionally connect to Gabriel (who I really couldn't bring myself to respect), left me with little idea of what was even going on. By the second half of Chapter 6 I was so utterly lost and confused as to the plot that I never even figured out what the opera had to do with anything. I was watching an opera in an opera house, but had no idea why! Nice music, sure, but "...huh?" Worse, the game never seemed to explain itself when everything finally played out.

Eh. Sorry for complaining so much. I just worked for hours and hours to get through that game, and then felt so cheated. The first half of the game was actually pretty good, but everything went completely downhill after that (and fast).