View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 AM   #17
chapter11studios
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Definatly, the new character sprites dont have enough definition, they look a bit washed out. If its possible I say go back to the original sprites, they looked better.
You say "a bit washed out," I say "they blend much better with the background art so as not to jump off the screen in an inappropriate manner during actual gameplay."

(Interestingly, the responses on the production thread over at the AGS boards seem to prefer the new sprites.)

Honestly, while I truly appreciate everyone's opinions... I like this style of character art better for the kind of game I'm making. I don't mean that to sound snide in any way, just that it's a design decision that brings the feel of the characters closer to my vision of the story. (Though I should have made this known earlier: Only the Jake sprite is finalized -- the cowgirl and villain sprites are still works-in-progress.)

One unintended byproduct of making the production process for RotHS so transparent (and by that I mean doing the Adventure Architect column and showing the full evolution of the game) is that people can go back and look at previous versions and disagree with my decisions. I think that's pretty cool, actually, but it also leads to second-guessing before the game even comes out. I never anticipated that!

p.s. I may as well pimp my help-wanted thread over at the AGS boards, too: http://new.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=31272.0