View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #652
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

GT video review | high def version

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Clearly one of the most obscenely beautiful games I've ever played.

Except that I had first got it last year as the very first title for my then new Xbox360, and its sheer size, scope, and depth scared the shit out of me, not least of which was because I've never played an RPG this complex before and all the stats management and micromanagement were - and still are - highly intimidating. I'm such a damn n00b.

Oh, where am I? I kinda don't care at the moment. Hmm, almost everything I've done involves exploration and discovery, in great part to simply gawk at the obscenely jawdropping beauty of the gameworld and how deep it is. I'm a stunning acid green haired female wood elf, level 13 as I type, stealth mage fighter (specialty in two handed sword, spellcasting, sneaking, and thieving). But I finally bought the Prima guide (handsome guide, too) and it's helping, the entire world is finally cracking open for me.

So far I'm staying clear of the main story quests and am just finding new ways to get into trouble. I've done a bunch of side quests (sadly the stories are nowhere near as emotionally involving as those of KOTOR and Jade Empire, this game seriously needs better writing), snuck around and stole stuff to fund my spell purchases, and just started pickpocketing (I could really use those invisibility spells but I imagine I can't learn them til I complete several Mage Guild quests for recommendation into the Arcane University, where I'll be taught spell design and casting).

So goes....
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien