View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #25
aries323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
What IS known about Dragon Age?
I think if you head over to Bioware's Dragon Age forum, you will find everything you'd want to know about Dragon Age (DA), if your read the stickys and the forum threads about this.

But here's what I remember:

* it is partybased
* you control all your characters (similar to Baldur's Gate, I think)
* deaths are permanent in DA (there are no resurrection spells, irrc).
* there are no orcs (yeah!) in this game (although there may be a different race of some sorts fullfilling the role of the orcs).
* If your whole party is dead, the game is over (this is similar to Dungeon Sage, irrc).
* the main character's background decides where he or she starts the game. If you, say, choose the background as a dwarf noble, you will start the game in the Dwarfen City. And your background might, may, or will come back to haunt you, I think, during the game. Or at least, your background does have an impact on how the game is played out. (I think this is somewhat similar to the old Quest for Glory Games, where you could choose at the start to be fighter, or a thief, or combination of classes??)
* In tune with the 'there are no resurrection spells' there is no magic in the game. Or more precisely, the magic in DA will be very low-magic and reserved to (the rare) magic users. [Magic in DA will not work the way it does in traditional D&D games].
* The game is aptly named 'dragon age' because, you guessed it, the game has dragons in it . But, as I understand it, dragons will be rare, and not something the everyday person, or party even, will meet. [The screenshots released for DA also show that dragons in DA will look completely different than the dragons in D&D]. There have been 7 og 8 ages before the 'dragon age', which means you probably will encounter some ruins in the game.
* DA is sort of inspired, irrc, by medieval times in Europe. Or more precisely Europe during the 13th-15th century, as I can tell from the released screenshots]. At least people are wearing their shields and weapon on their backs, as was the custom during 13th-15th century.
* Although it is party based, you will have hub (an inn of some sorts, I think)
where you exchange party members. If one of your party members get injured, this injury is permanent, as there are no healing spells or healing potions in the game. To 'heal' your party member, you will need to track your way back to an entry point, and travel back to your camp (or the hub) in order to 'heal' yourself and your party. [And with 'heal' I mean that you need to dress or bandage your wounds, until they have healed completely]. This may change, though.
* And just because the game is inspired by how people lived in the 13th-15th century in Europe, it doesn't mean that all of the game will be like this. It does mean, however, that the writers add & subtract to the game as part of the creative process, and their creative freedom.
*There will be three classes for this game, fighter, rogue, and mage. And you can play as a dwarf, elf, barbarian, or humans (as far I remember). This is just what I remember or what has been confirmed.

And now for something slightly different:

*there may be zombiekittens or skywombats in DA, but I wouldn't bet on it (at least one of the writers for DA has written about this, but I think, she was joking ).