View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #10
Jake
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I think if you were to do a classic styled adventure game in 3D the best way to do it is to have a fixed camera that can track around and stuff ala BS3, but allow the player to look around Zelda style in first person mode, if only to show off that you're in a 3D space. That said, I'd like there to be a puzzle in an adventure game to involve the ceiling for once.

Okay so even though I just posted saying fixed cameras are awesome, I need to sneak one more thing in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
By implementing a controlable camera you're basically admitting that your own camera control is flawed. A controlable camera should therefore never be a goal on its own... it's just a solution if you can't fix the camera in another way.
I totally disagree with you.

One of the points of having a realtime 3D space is that you can explore it from every angle. If you're playing a 3rd person game, that is just not possible unless you constantly switch to 1st person mode to look around (or, in the case of a game with a Tomb Raider-style constant behind-the-back camera, you have to constantly rotate your player around whenever you enter a new room).

While I think that fixed still/fixed tracking cameras might be the best way to do a 3rd person adventure game, just to keep the proper cinematicness there and to obey the unspoken rules of atmosphere for a 3rd person adventure game, for other genres, having a totally inflexible camera can be nothing but frustrating.

"What's that slightly off to my left? ... oh, I can't tell because I can't rotate the camera around. Why is this game even in realtime 3D if I can't look slightly to my left without having to reposition my character, who just so happens to be intentionally aiming at something specific at the moment." That's frustrating, and there's no way to avoid that type of scenario if you have a camera that is fully out of the players control.

I don't think the Mario Sunshine style "haphazard crazy cam" that you have to constantly be monitoring is the solution either, but saying "having a camera the player can and sometimes has to fiddle with means nothing but the programmer and designer have done a shitty job with the 3D camera implimentation" is really a little closed minded and over dramatic, and wrong.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens

Last edited by Jake; 03-08-2004 at 01:46 PM.