Thread: Guilty pleasure
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I also love cartoons, and I don't see why anyone should feel guilty about it. I love watching anything from Genndy Tartakovsky, or the Looney Tunes cartoons from the forties. On occasion I happen to catch a more recent Cartoon Network cartoon. And if it's good, there's no reason to feel guilty at all about it.

A recent guilty pleasure of mine was starting to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I felt guilty about it only because the title is unforgivably silly. But you know what, it's a great show. So I got over it. When my sister asked me why I was watching such a "girly" show, I responded with "Because it's a great show.". And that's all the justification anyone should need. (Incidentally, I only discovered the show around a week ago and today I bought the entire series on DVD.)

So what is a valid guilty pleasure? One where you know it's bad, but enjoy it anyway. A recent example for me would be when I watched the first few episodes of Smallville to see what it was like. So ridiculously corny and artificial, yet still quite watchable. I stopped, though. It's not that watchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I do not know of a better explanation other than the way a woman loves a really good chocolate.(I know that sounds sexist, but a woman can smell and taste subtleties that a man entirely misses)
Speak for yourself. I do too taste subtleties of chocolate. My favorite flavor is this one lemon-flavored white chocolate, and you'd better believe I appreciate its subtleties. And yes, it is sexist to say that women can appreciate chocolate more than men.