View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #2404
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
True there wasn't much exposition, but I would argue it wasn't necessary. It had pretty good characters and a well defined objective...I found it very entertaining myself.
I don't know how you can argue a movie about the end of civilization requires no exposition. The plot reads like this to me (contains spoilers).

"Let's pretend that everywhere but Britain has fallen into total chaos, maybe because of the recent infertility of our race, maybe not, who cares!?. The point is that lots of refugees are arriving in Britain and the "Government" treats em really harsh by locking them up in camps and cages on the street (just pretend no one ever saw The Siege, or lives in Australia).

Now this guy, doesn't matter what his job or background is, all that matters is he lost a baby (real tearjerker, classic motivation!) and he has this ex-wife who after the loss of their baby joined a terrorist group that wants to fight for refugee rights. Doesn't matter why she did, she was just upset, thats all, oh and incidentally when she and her ex-husband where younger, they where hippies. Anyway she's the leader (I said don't think about it!). And she's the only one who has ever made contact with some near mythical separationist group (Hey!).

Well the wife, she gets in contact with her ex-husband and ropes him into doing a job with her. See they've found the only fertile woman in 18 years, we don't need to explain why, where she came from, or how a single baby will be enough to save the world, she's a symbol. And this couple who lost their own baby, are gonna save this one so the mother will name it after their kid that died. People will never see that coming.

To sum it up, we just wan't to show people at their worst, forget what drove them to it, and then we want to chuck a baby in there! The last baby on the earth that could save the race, and how even when faced with (alluded to) salvation most people will still be selfish and stupid and violent. Hey!, maybe then they'll wonder if we're worth saving? Its genius."

Then on the day of filming in the refugee camp, in an inspired move they dress up the some refugees in headscarves and green flags, again alluding to something weighty without any decent exposition.

The camera work is good, great tracking shots in the battlescene at the end but that really made it look scripted/constructed. Just like scenes from recent shooter video games. By pure coincidence I had only just recently played Cold Fear which uses the same perspective as this scene, complete with rain and blood splatter on the camera lens. Many people liken it to Half-Life 2's scripted scenes too.