View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
jokieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I shall see what happens with a whole load of stuff once I upgrade to Vista in what should be about a fortnight's time.
Take my word for it, you do NOT want to upgrade to Vista.

And if you won't take my word for it, take it from Microsoft's. The O.S. is crippled from the get-go and only gets worse from there. It also takes a really big performance hit over XP, requires double the ram, and the OEM versions only allow for a single activation (means you can't upgrade without having to buy a new copy).

Vista is really bad news.

Oh, it's also dropped open GL support completely so XP runs OpenGL apps 80-90% faster.

And yeah, I dual booted it for about a month to check it out ($120.00 mistake on my part), stick with XP, yer better off. It "seems" like it runs faster, but the truth is it only "loads" faster because it caches your most used programs in Memory if you have a 2 gigabyte system. But once the applications load, they carry out their tasks slower. Anything from ripping cd's to transcoding your music to compiling data. When you install Vista on your computer you give control of it over to Microsoft and any and all "premium content" providers. It's 100 times worse than Sony's Rootkit software.

Windows Vista As CrippleWare and DRM Bloat, Written by David Marsh (Microsoft).... More Vista Goodness
Digital 'Fair Use' Bill Introduced In Congress 02/17

the worst part about it is that besides the performance hit which will affect everyone who uses vista. All the DRM crap is only going to hamper people who actually buy their music/movies/games/etc. The software/music pirates won't have to deal with any of it.

Go one step further and Vista 64 (microsoft plans to dump Vista 32 midway through vista's life cycle) requires signed drivers. You can't install ANY unsigned driver at all. The amount of control you lose when running vista is a huge step backward for consumers. Vista only helps the RIAA, MPAA and any other companies who choose to employ Vista's DRM policies.

Last edited by jokieman; 04-01-2007 at 06:05 PM.