Thread: Okami
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 03:15 AM   #50
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Isn't that a pretty typical story for this kind of game? Yeah, there's a whole mythological component to it (as you said, you're not just a wolf, but the incarnation of the goddess Amaterasu) and other complications, but again: that's not exactly unusual for a genre that is all about elaborate backstory.

You're a wolf, the incarnation of a goddess and you're jumping around in a cell-shaded environment based on traditional Japanese art, fighting cell-shaded critters also based on traditional Japanese art. I dunno. I really didn't get the game until I read a couple of articles and looked further into it. And even then... I don't know. Right now I'm just really curious about it. And it looks beatiful.

Quote:
I really don't see that the setup is any more outré or esoteric than what you find in for example Zelda or Final Fantasy titles.
Well, neither the Final Fantasy series nor Zelda is set up like that. You're playing characters you can identify with immediately, and there's nothing particularly "foreign" or "off" to the visuals or other content either. Young Link who goes on an adventure to rid his land of evil is hardly the same as that wolf/reincarnation of a Japanese goddess thing meets Japanese cel-shaded artwork. Same with Final Fantasy, the eight game is practically Dawson's Creek and the evil witches. It's also somewhat noteworthy and interesting that Final Fantasy didn't even take off in the West until it's seventh(!) installment came around, in part thanks to a fat marketing crusade. The first Zelda as one of Nintendo's early flag-ship titles surely was one of THE games to have on the NES, and even back then Nintendo was running TV adds. Plus, these two are established franchises by now, and you know how it goes with mammoth franchises like that... Since there are so many by now they will likely continue to overshadow most of everything, cause nobody wants to fork out 40 bucks for something that looks and sounds rather.. "vague". To put it that way. That comfort thing.

It's a little sad that games mostly cost so much, so much that even titles like "Okami" need to become semi-blockbusters to be considered worth an investment.