Thread: Okami
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #49
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Licenses and franchises, yes. I've never heard about Okami until SoccerDude started this thread last year, but then I don't own a PS2 anyway. Thing is, I don't see this game as something with "mainstream*" appeal either. Not like that anyway. You don't really need to touch upon stuff like midiculous_dissection_of_gameplay_mechanics. I mean, what's that game about anyway?

Taken from wiki:

Need we go on?
"Midiculous"?

The initial premise is actually pretty simple: A monster (a dragon with 8 heads, as it happens) has put a curse over the land (your average medieval-magical fantasy realm, but with a Japanese twist). You're a magic wolf, and you have to fight monsters, lift the curse and restore the power of nature.

Isn't that a pretty typical story for this kind of game? Yeah, there's a whole mythological component to it (as you said, you're not just a wolf, but the incarnation of the goddess Amaterasu) and other complications, but again: that's not exactly unusual for a genre that is all about elaborate backstory.

I really don't see that the setup is any more outré or esoteric than what you find in for example Zelda or Final Fantasy titles.